5 Tips to Drive Safely in the Rain
It's officially the fall season here in West Hartford, Connecticut. You know what that means, a LOT of rain! Well the summer is over and now the seasons are changing which unfortunately brings this inclement weather. Our auto mechanic and auto repair specialists recommend 5 ways to stay safe while driving in the rain.
1. Turn on your radio and listen for up to the minute weather alerts.
2. Use your low beams and drive slowly. If visibility is very poor, pull over to the side of the road and turn on your emergency flashers until the rain subsides.
3. Allow extra space between you and the car in front of you. Sudden braking on wet roadways can be difficult which has potential to cause accidents.
4. Do not attempt to drive through standing water. It’s often deeper than it appears, and you don’t want to risk losing control of your vehicle.
5. Steer clear of downed power lines and report dangerous situations to the police.
3 Maintenance Tips for the Fall Season
Wiper blades: It’s important to change your wiper blades annually. We advise you do so in early September so you are prepared for rain during this autumn season.
Inspect tires: Make sure enough tread and proper inflation for safe driving in wet conditions. This will give you confidence to drive in the rain and ensure your safety.
Headlights: Much like wiper blades on a vehicle, headlights should be checked periodically and replaced in pairs. Changing and upgrading a car's headlights before they burn out helps ensure optimum performance.